The 5 Best Rear Tine Tiller in 2018
Rear tine tiller is a handy device for all those who love gardening. But it not an easy task to find the best rear tine tiller as there are so many tillers available in the market.
Every machine boasts of extraordinary features, and after buying, only users can know the true colors of those so-called best tillers.
To help our readers, we had tried more than 70 rear tine tillers to find the best among them and below five achieved the best scores.
We considered several parameters like flexibility, counter-weight, transmission, the strain on arms while working as well as speed modes, etc. while preparing this list.
Their functioning in loosening hard soil was taken as the main criteria to prepare this list. Before knowing about the best tillers available in the market right now, you should know the importance of selecting the best.
Why Should You Buy A Rear Tine Tiller?
Best tillers not only last long but also make your job easier when compared to manually preparing a garden. They are powerful machines, and they can be categorized into different types like CRTs, DRTs, FRTs, and VDRTs.
Most of the rear tine tillers are heavy, and wheels are powered by engines to have easy movement.
Wheels are also bigger compared to other tiller models. They can do a wonderful job irrespective of the soil type, and that’s the reason why they are more popular than other models.
These tillers come up with different transmission modes so that you can re-till areas whenever necessary. Adjustable drag bar is one of the must-have features in tillers, so that adjust digging depth as per your needs.
The machine shouldn’t tilt one way while you are tilling and counterweight management plays an important role in balancing so that you can plough hard lands also without losing balance.
Reviews of the Best Rear Tine Tiller
1. B.C.S Tiller Rear Tine Tiller-GX340
This rototiller is powered by 10HP Honda engine, and the buyer should assemble the tractor and tiller upon receiving. It is not a hard job, and those who are mechanically sound can do it in few hours.
This gear driven tiller is ideal for primary gardeners. Those who are not physically strong can also operate this tiller, but they need to slow down the machine while taking turns.
Handlebars are higher and sturdier compared to other tillers available. You can continuously run it for four to five hours and works fine.
At first, you may face some problems in controlling this beast, but once you got used to it, you will surely enjoy using this machine.
- Honda’s 340cc powerful motor is reliable and long-lasting.
- Speed can be adjusted with three-forward transmission gears, and differential transmission will surely make your job easier.
- Sharp blades twirl fast so that you can plough more quickly.
- Works perfectly even in muddy and clay soils also.
- 26-inch tiller is more than enough for all your gardening needs.
- Quieter than tillers with same specifications.
- Attachment process may seem difficult because of inadequate instructions.
- It weights a bit heavier (275+ pounds).
- Both clutch and safety switch is on the left handle.
2. Southland S.R.T.T-196E Rear Tine Tiller
This is one among the best rear tine rototiller available in the mid-range segment, and it is neither too heavy nor too small. With its powerful 196cc engine, you can till forward or reverse crushing soil to make it perfect for gardening.
You can plough to a massive depth of 10inches with this tiller and it works fine even on inclined landscapes.As it is so powerful, you need to use muscle power to control this monster tiller. It is a bit louder, and it is very common in case of tillers with powerful engines.
It comes with more features when compared to other machines in the same price range. Southland products are known for outperforming the buyer’s expectations, and this machine is no exception.
- The unique self-sharpening design will keep the blades in perfect condition even after years of use.
- 13 inch heavily treaded tires can easily conquer hard terrains also.
- Manual recoil start.
- Environmental Protection-Agency certified product.
- Can be operated in forward as well as reverse directions.
- Build quality is nice.
- May face some difficulty if you don’t stick to straight line paths.
- Belt driven and need to manually adjust directions.
- Need to fill gear oil also before pulling it off.
3. Earthquake-24598 Victory-Compact Rear Tine Tiller
This tiller is powered by 212cc powerful engine yet it can be controlled with the single hand. You may have to spend some time with it to adjust to its unique single rod design.
It may seem weird, but once you begin using it, you will surely love it. As it weighs less, it can be easily controlled by females also and its fun using it.
If you are using this tiller and wants to plough deep, it is better to till the land first at four to the five-inch depth and then proceed to till the soil at maximum depth.
The Chinese machine will surely pass all your expectations and its tilling width is fixed (16 inches).
- Single-handed control.
- Engine cranks on first try itself.• Compact yet powerful.
- Best in class tires with advanced treading offer better control.
- Stable and maintains nice balance, thanks to its balanced design.
- Can easily till to 10 inches deep.
- It is very light compared to other powerful engines and weighs less than 160pounds.Cons:• Be prepared to PUSH if you are tilling at a maximum depth.
- Need to re-pin wheels frequently.
- Clear instructions will surely make the assembling job simpler.
4. Husqvarna CRT900L-960930026 17-Inch Rear Tine Tiller
This tiller is equipped with a 4-stroke 205cc engine which is more popular as Briggs and Stratton-900 Series O.H.V Engine. This engine is known for its reliability and performance and Husqvarna made an excellent tiller using this robust engine.
It weighs just over 200 pounds and easy to control. It is one of the top rear tine rototillers available under $700 price tag. The protective shield covering the sharp blades not only protects you from accidental cuts but also helps in leveling the soil.
This is an ideal workhorse yet easy to handle. Its high rpm engine provides enough torque whenever necessary and simplifies even the toughest jobs out there in the garden.
- Front engine design provides the counterweight to maintain balance.
- 17-inch tilling width is more than enough for all your gardening needs.
- It looks small in size yet very powerful.
- Chain transmission so that you can easily reverse directions.
- The engine also powers wheels so you don’t need actually to push.
- Can easily cut tree roots and smash rocks if they come in its way.
- Design-wise, it looks solid and durable.
- Transmission is a bit confusing and complex.
- Counter-rotating only.
- Shifting this machine is nothing less than a heavy workout.
5. Yard-Machines 208cc Rear Tine Tiller
Its 208cc O.H.V engine is designed to cut through soil and literally grinds everything which obstructs its path. This beast justifies its $1000 price tag with its top-notch performance and it is reasonably quiet when compared with machines in the similar range.
Its powerful engine combined with sharp blades will make your gardening and tilling experience more enjoyable. Its 18-inch width tines are the best in class only a few tillers are equipped with such wide tillers.
12-inch Steel tines can dig up depths reaching 6 inches and with its Loop & Bail handle; this beast can be easily controlled.
Don’t get fooled by its compact size as its looks can easily deceive you. Once you crank the engine, it shows its real power and you will surely get surprised after seeing it at work.
- Very easy assembling and disassembling process.
- Properly designed to maintain balance and the tiller never go out of control.
- Fitted with 13-inch hard rubber wheels to easily move in rocky terrains also.• Adjustable transmission to move in forward or reverse directions.
- Powermore’s reliable engine never asks for rest.
- Will work in rocky and muddy terrains as well.
- One time investment as it lasts really long.
- Irrespective of your height, you can easily maneuver it because of its adjustable handle.
- Can dig up to 6 inches only.
Things Need To Know About Best Rear Tine Tillers Before Buying
Rear tine tiller is a one-time investment and the thing you bought should work for at least six to seven years. Also, they are not cheap and it is always better to go through the rear tine tiller reviews before buying one. Here are some essential things you must know before buying.
Of all the different tiller options available, rear tine tillers are more powerful. Based on the rotating direction of the tines concerning wheels, these workhorses can be mainly categorized into three types.
Forward rotating tillers where tines and wheels both move forward. In the counter-rotating tiller, tines move in the direction opposite to the movement of wheels. The last one is dual rotating tillers, and it is a combination of the above two.
Weight of the tiller will play a crucial role in handling the tiller especially during turns. If they weigh less, you can easily control them, and you can also quickly move them when the engine is off.
It is always better to go with lighter versions and in general, heavy ones come with more powerful engines. Some tillers even weigh more than 250 pounds and most of the times; you don’t need to push tiller as the engine also powers the wheels.
These two parameters play an essential role in selecting the tillers and most of the tillers that are available these days can easily dig up to ten inches. It is better to opt for them than models that can only dig up to six inches.
Digging width mainly depends on the number of tines and most of these working horses are now coming up with the 24-inch width. If your garden area is small, it is better to go with small sizes.
You can go through growth manuals to understand the width and depth requirements of different plants.
There won’t be any use if the tiller stops working within a month or two after buying. So, it is essential to do some research about seller and manufacturer.
Just going through the reviews on e-commerce websites won’t be sufficient and you must know the detailed specifications of the engine, basic working, transmission modes, etc.
Some bolts, pins are more prone to wear and tear and going through these minor details will surely reduce maintenance costs.
Know whether every penny you are spending on the machine is worth or not. Check different sources as price variation will be very high in gardening materials.
Also, go through all the machines that are available in the same price range and machines with same specifications but from different sources.
This method will surely help in deciding your final selection, and you can also save your hard earned money.Power: Most of the tillers that are available in the market are equipped with powerful engines, and you must select the one that best suits you.
Some engines work on gas whereas some engines need a mixture of oil and gas.Take this parameter also into consideration before buying.
If you are in need of some powerful machines, go with 350cc or 500cc engines, but in most cases, 200cc engines will be more than enough.
Take other parameters like the density of vegetation, nature of the soil, etc. also into consideration while finalizing your choice.
All the models that are mentioned above are based on reliable rear tine tiller reviews and we had personally tried all the five of them. Whatever may be your requirement, you can choose one from our list and each one of them is equipped with great machinery.
As tillers are heavy machines, it is better to follow the advice mentioned above to select the best one.
Finally, these machines are one time investments and don’t hesitate to spend few extra bucks. Proper care, cleaning and regular maintenance will surely increase the lifespan of these machines.