Last Updated on January 3, 2021 by Daniel Cooper
A chainsaw is an incredibly convenient tool for felling, limbing, shaping, trimming the trees, woods, saplings, and small branches, cutting firebreaks and harvesting of firewood. Maintaining the beauty of a garden or doing other hobby works entirely depends on a chainsaw. It is reliable and essential. Limbs and trims, felling and cutting, requires a long period of work. Those of us who have used power tools very well know how hard it is to hold them for a long time. So, it is crucial for a power tool to be lightweight for reducing fatigue as well as improving productivity. Likewise, there is no exception in the case of a chainsaw as well. For a comfortable and convenient working experience with a chainsaw, the only option one has to invest in the best lightweight chainsaw available in the market, and fortunately, there are quite a few.
They are sturdy, lightweight, powerful, and have some useful features which only increase comfort and reduces the difficulty of the tedious work of cutting and trimming.
Table of Contents
- Quick Answer – Lightweight Chainsaw
- Reviews of the Best Lightweight Chainsaw
- 1. Makita UC3551A Electric Chain Saw
- 2. Greenworks Cordless Chainsaw
- 3. BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 Cordless Chainsaw
- 4. Remington RM4216 Gas Powered Chainsaw
- 5. Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- 6. Oregon CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chainsaw
- 7. WORX WG303.1 Powered Chain Saw
- 8. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 Lithium-Ion Chainsaw
- 9. Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim Electric Chainsaw
- 10. Tanaka TCS33EDTP Top Handle Chain Saw
Quick Answer – Lightweight Chainsaw
Reviews of the Best Lightweight Chainsaw
Chainsaw rates higher when it has a robust chain and bar guide which operates with a powerful motor. It doesn’t matter much whether its a cordless or electric chainsaw because both the type have their own advantages and disadvantages.
The type of chainsaw will only increase the convenience depending on where you are cutting the woods. However, a cordless chainsaw is better than an electric chainsaw when there is no socket near the working place. As we are highlighting the importance of a chainsaw being lightweight, so obviously the more the weight is less is better.
Being lightweight will not in any way imply compromising the strength of the engine or battery or the length and robustness of the chain bar. So, if you are finding it hard to search for the best lightweight chainsaw with all the possible best qualities, then here we are listing 10 of them.
1. Makita UC3551A Electric Chain Saw
It has a 14″ chain, and the chain runs at 2,900 FPM speed. The large spike bar right beside the chain and the chain brake ensures maximum productivity.
The chainsaw has a powerful motor that has a built-in current limiter. This limiter helps to reduce power immediately the moment the saw is overloaded to protect the motor engine from burnout.
The tool-less blade and chain adjustment are easy to operate and maintain. It has an automatic chain oiler and a large oil reservoir with a view window. The small view window allows easy checking of the oil level.
It is effortless to hold and provides a firm grip while cutting and trimming at high speed due to its rubberized soft grip handle. Its trigger is large and switches on with soft start to provide smooth start-ups.
- Tool-less blade and chain adjustments allow easy operation
- Large trigger switch and soft, smooth start-ups
- Comfortable, rubberized soft grip handle
- Built-in current limiter to protect the motor
- Large oil reservoir with view window
- Leaks oil when not in use
2. Greenworks Cordless Chainsaw
For longer run-time, durability, more torque, and more power, the brushless motor operates effectively. It delivers up to 30% more torque and 70% less vibration while working, and creates very little noise.
The cordless chainsaw runs with a 4.0 AH Battery. One charge of the battery delivers absolute power and ensures the highest cutting performance. It comes with a 16″ heavy-duty Oregon bar and chain which performs up to 150 cuts per charge.
It includes an electronic chain brake for safe-control of the chainsaw power and preventing accidental kickbacks. Besides, it also has a low kickback chain for user-safety.
It has a translucent automatic oiler. The large wraparound handle is easy to hold and carry. It is compatible with the Greenworks G-MAX 40V Lithium-Ion system which allows a range of tools to operate with the chainsaw.
- Durable, more torque and more power
- Compatible with Greenworks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion system
- Brushless motor offers 70% less vibration
- Chain brake and low kickback for safe use
- Auto-oiler with translucent oil tank
- Need time to adjust working with it
3. BLACK+DECKER LCS1240 Cordless Chainsaw
Black+Decker LCS1240 is a lightweight, cordless chainsaw that runs with a 40V MAX 2.0Ah Lithium-Ion battery. This powerful battery provides a steady operation upon every use while cutting and trimming, which gives the chainsaw a longer run time and increases its overall life.
It is the best lightweight chainsaw for pruning branches and cutting fallen limbs. It takes approximately 4-5 hours to charge and easily affords 60 4×4 pine lumber cuts on average per single charge.
Once charged, it stays up to 5x longer compared to other similar cordless chainsaws. It has a12″ long premium quality Oregon low kickback chain and bar.
It provides fast and easy adjustments due to its tool-less chain tensioning system. The automatic oiling system continuously lubricates the chain and bar for smooth cutting performance.
The chainsaw has a rubberized handle at the end and also a full wrap around bale handle. The positioning of the handles is perfect for cutting thick materials in different orientations even at high speed.
- 40V MAX 2.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery
- For pruning and cutting, branches and fallen limbs
- Tool-free chain tensioning for easy adjustments
- Full wrap around handle allows cutting in different orientations with ease
- Automatic oiling system
- Consumes too much oil
4. Remington RM4216 Gas Powered Chainsaw
Remington RM4216 is a lightweight chainsaw powered with gas. It is made of die-cast chassis and pro-grade components which makes it sturdy and durable. It features a 42cc engine and operates on a mixed fuel of lead-free gasoline and 2-cycle oil. The 2-cycle of oil is included with purchase.
It has a robust 16″ bar with a low kickback chain. The bar is sprocket-tipped and effortlessly cuts medium to large-sized branches. It brings drastic improvement in trimming and cutting materials. It uses the QuickStart technology, which makes the pull starts swift and easier.
The automatic oiler is adjustable and maintains the quality of the chain and keeps the chain in the precision condition through constant lubrication. It operates comfortably due to its 5-point anti-vibration system.
Due to the anti-vibration and its cushion wrap handle, it is easy to hold while working. It comes with a heavy-duty, handy storage case which ensures convenient transportation and storage.
- 42cc 2-cycle gas-powered engine and 16-inch bar and chain
- 5-point anti-vibration system and quickstart technology allow comfortable operation
- Cushion-wrap handle
- Adjustable automatic oiler system
- Includes a heavy-duty case and 2-cycle oil
- Chain requires frequent adjustment
5. Greenworks 14-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
It is also very lightweight but operates with a 2.0 AH Battery, instead of 4.0. The battery charges within 60 minutes and can provide up to 60 cuts on 4×4 lumber per charge. It starts with just a push on the trigger.
Its powerful brushless motor provides more-torque and run-time increases the durability. The 14″ bar and low kickback chain deliver superior performance while cutting and trimming medium to heavy-duty materials. Its chain tensioning system is manually maneuvered.
It has wrap around handguard for easy hold and added protection. The transparent tank has an automatic oiler system that provides continuous lubrication to the bar and chain, increasing the overall life and ensuring smooth operation and maintenance. The oil level can be kept on check with the oil view window.
- Powerful 40V 2Ah battery
- 14″ bar and chain with low kickback
- Powerful brushless motor
- Handguard provides added protection
- Automatic oiler maintain continuous lubrication
- Oil leaks out profusely
6. Oregon CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chainsaw
It features a PowerSharp lever, and it needs to be pulled for 3-5 seconds. By this, the chain will sharpen and work like new. Sharpening it requires just a few seconds. Its ergonomic design makes it lightweight and steady.
It operates with a 15 amp high power motor for fast cutting performance. The guide bar length is 18″ with a reduced-kickback chain. Tool-less chain tensioning system provides a hassle-free chain replacement, and the integrated chain brake ensures safety.
It ensures low noise and vibration while using the chainsaw. The over-mold comfortable handle is easy to hold and use. It also has an automatic oiler system and continues constant lubrication on the bar and chain for smooth operation and maintains low maintenance of the chainsaw.
With the view-through window, the level of the oil is visible. The chain saw is backed by a 2-year consumer and 1-year professional warranty ensuring the durability.
- High power motor with reduced-kickback guide bar and chain
- Tool-less chain tensioning system with exclusive self-sharpening
- Ergonomic design with over-mold handle
- Integrated chain brake for protection
- Backed by two years of consumer warranty and 1-year of professional warranty
- Doesn’t hold the chain well
7. WORX WG303.1 Powered Chain Saw
The WORX is a lightweight, durable, and reliable electric tool. It runs with a 3.5 HP 14.5 Amp motor which is dependable and delivers an extraordinary cutting performance. It is strong enough to fell or cut trees efficiently. It is a go-to tool for homeowners, farmers, and ranchers.
The chain is 16″ and runs at a 12m/s chain speed. Its rated voltage is 120V~60Hz. Its exclusive WORX Patented auto-tension chain system secures the bar and chain and prevents over-tightening.
It helps the chain to stay at the right tension for hundreds of cuts and trims. For additional safety, it has a built-in chain brake and also a low kickback bar. The chain stops immediately after improper contact to prevent accidents.
The automatic oil lubrication oils the bar and chain and ensures smooth performance and low maintenance. The built-in 200 ml capacity oil reservoir has a window-level indicator for checking the oil level. The rubber rear handle and wraparound handle offers a perfect grip. It provides a three years manufacturer warranty.
- An electric saw with a14.5 Amp motor
- Auto-tension chain system and comfortable rubber rear handle and full-wrap front handle
- Built-in chain brake and low kickback bar for precaution and safe use
- Automatic oiler with window level indicator in an integrated oil reservoir
- Three years manufacturer’s warranty
- Not cordless
8. BLACK+DECKER LCS1020 Lithium-Ion Chainsaw
The 20v Max Lithium-Ion battery is efficient enough to maintain a long run-time and long-life. It is a cordless tool that stays charged 5x longer compared to regular chainsaws.
The Oregon bar and chain has a premium quality and is about 10″. They are a low kickback bar and chain which provides fast and smooth cuts.
It offers a tool-free blade tension system, so it is easy and quick to replace and make adjustments. The ease and efficiency in maneuvering the tool are remarkable.
It features a wrap-around bale handle which makes the tool easy to hold, control, and use. The improved oiling system ensures easy manual lubrication and low maintenance. It also has a clear window to gauge the oil level.
- 20V MAX Lithium-Ion battery
- Heavy-duty Oregon low kickback bar & chain
- Tool-free blade tensioning
- Wrap around bale handle provides solid control and firm grip
- Oiling system with a clear window
- Manual oil feed
9. Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim Electric Chainsaw
Remington RM1425’s corded, compact, electric chainsaw has an easy-to-wield design. It weighs just over 6-pound. This lightweight chainsaw prevents fatigue and is appropriate for small limbs and saplings trimming needs.
It comes fully assembled and is ready to cut right after plugging the tool in the electric socket. It provides a powerful trimming due to its 8-amp electric motor cuts through small branches or sprouts with one squeeze on the trigger.
The 14-inch low kickback chain bar has quick external tensioner which ensures secure, fast adjustment and tightening of the chain and keeps it to the ideal tension for a long time. The sturdy chain is apt for residential limbing and arbor maintenance tasks.
The push button oiler it features, swiftly disperse the right amount of oil and lubricates the chain and bar to ensure smooth performance. Its comfortable wraparound handle is easy to hold and is covered by a handguard. The purpose is to keep the hands away from flying debris.
- Easy-to-wield design electric chainsaw comes fully assembled
- An 8-amp electric motor
- Comfortable wraparound handguard
- External chain tension adjuster for easy tensioning
- Push button oiler disperse the right amount of oil
- Chain heats up
10. Tanaka TCS33EDTP Top Handle Chain Saw
Tanaka is known for its innovations and features in their tools. Tanaka TCS33EDTP is no different and has some incredible features. It is a sturdy and durable yet lightweight chainsaw with a top handle.
Its 32.2cc commercial grade pure fire engine consumes less fuel and provide powerful performance. This innovative two-stroke engine ensures ultra-low emissions, avoiding all the mess. It is specially built for commercial use and perfect for pruning, shaping, and doing hobby work.
The 12-Inch sturdy Oregon chain has a sprocket nose bar which provides added control and ensures easier and smoothest cuts. It also features half throttle choke with purge primer bulb for a quick and easy start. It also has easy access to the rear air filter and an anti-vibration system for comfortable usage.
Its automatic gear-driven oiler maintains constant lubrication for powerful performance, and the side access chain tensioning system ensures prompt and convenient chain adjustment. It is backed by a 7-year consumer, 2-year commercial and 1-year rental warranty.
- 32.2cc commercial grade pure fire engine consumes limited fuel
- Automatic gear-driven oiler, Sprocket nose bar, and ergonomic top and side handle
- Half-throttle choke with purge primer bulb
- Oregon chain with a side access chain tensioning
- Backed by a seven years consumer, two years commercial and one-year rental warranty
A high-quality, heavy-duty chainsaw might cost a bit high, but there is no doubt that it increases productivity by finishing the work in a short time. The precisions and smoothness in the cuts also come due to the efficiency of the chainsaw.
It is essential to understand the requirement while buying not only chainsaws but also any power tools. For understanding the needs, proper assessment and analysis are very important. We, in our review, have gathered all the necessary information related to each best lightweight chainsaw.
Lightweight is the characteristic in all the 10, other than that they provide variety in their features and look. And, if you are planning to buy a chainsaw with incredible features then hopefully our review will help you to get the best one among the 10. Remember, do not go for the one which has different, innovative features, instead choose the one which goes with your requirements and convenience.
You May Also Like to Read
- The Best Cordless Electric Chainsaw
- The Best Pole Saw
- The Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- The Best Cordless Electric Lawn Mower
- The Best Snow Blower Review